MOMA - THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART
LocationNew York, USA
ArchitectDiller Scofidio + Renfro
2016 - 2019
2018 – 2019
FRENER & REIFER was responsible for the complete design-engineering, fabrication and installation of the entrance glass facade with cantilevered stainless steel canopy, the ground floor shop facade, the tie rod facade, the glass staircase facade, the aluminium panel facade and the terrace glazing.
Scope of work
- FRENER & REIFER was responsible for the design-engineering, fabrication and installation of the following facades
- 360 m² Entrance Facade with 130 m² Canopy 8 m high, 130 m² glass entrance wall with 4 m high panes. It features 4 side-hung doors, a double-leaf door and a 130 m² cantilevered stainless steel canopy in 13 x 10 m format, with a glass bead blasted surface. Two-thirds of the stainless steel canopy is cantilevered, with the remaining third in the interior.
- 215 m² Street Level Shop Facade Custom construction in which the 4 x 2.5 m glass panels are retained only at the top and the bottom. An area of approx. 8 m can be opened via concertina (folding) doors.
- 350 m² Tie Rod Facade This facade consists of two layers. The outer is retained using tie rods and the inner is an acoustic facade, with a walkable glass “skybridge” located between the two. The format of the glass facade panels is 8.5 x 2.3
- 145 m² Glass Staircase Facade Glass facade featuring 2.2 m x 7 m (H x L), horizontally self-supporting glasses
- 65 m² Terrace Glazing and 30 m Glass Balustrade Highly transparent facade with two glass entrance doors
- 590 m² Paneel-Fassade Fixed lamella elements with pre-bolted perforated aluminium sheets
Innovations / Challenges
- Difficult to access inner-city building in the middle of a vast metropolis
- Diversity of facade types and materials
- Facade types include sheet metal, tie rod, canopy, openable facade, acoustic facade, balustrade, doors, side-hung doors, awning windows, concertina doors